About Me

My photo
I postpone death by living, by suffering, by error, by risking, by giving, by losing, by achieving.

Dec 11, 2011

Fried wings with garlic salt



RECIPE
4 chicken wings (I used native chicken)
1 tbsp. home made garlic salt 
1/2 tsp freshly grounded black pepper
550 ml soybean oil 



FOR THE GARLIC SALT




3 - 4 garlic cloves
9-10 tsp sea salt

1. Peel and trim garlic cloves. Chop the garlic and place in a mortar bowl. Using a pestle, grind the garlic with 1 tsp sea salt until they form a paste

2. Continue adding the remaining salt (8 tsp) until the mixture is no longer paste-like

3. Now, one tip that I didn't mention on my Facebook or in the picture: using a small blender and blend the mixture for seconds. Beware of not to blend for so long because the garlic will start to extract its oil and sugar and your mixture will form a paste-like again, which you don't want at this step

4. Another hidden tip is that I roast garlic salt mixture in a hot, flat pan for 10 - 20 seconds, stirring carefully to dry out the mixture. Trust me, the flavor improves a lot after roasting!

FOR THE FRIED WINGS

1. Rinse chicken wings with cool water and drain. 


2. Marinate them with 1 tsp garlic salt. I made garlic salt out of sea salt so it tastes less salty than the iot salt. You may want to use less, depending on your salt. But, technically I'd prefer using my fingertips to sprinkle garlic salt to make a very thin layer yet evenly coat each wing. Again, dust some freshly grounded black pepper. These wings don't need to be marinated for so long so heat your pan!

3. Using a heavy-bottomed pan or pot. Heat 550ml soybean oil until temperature reaches 175C /347F. I fried the first batch for nearly 10 mins. Remove the first batch and drain them on paper towers. Make sure your oil is preheated again (175C/347F) before you fry the second batch. My second batch took shorter time to be beautifully crisp (8 mins)



take a wing, tell me how you like it. 

And if you count these wings as my brother did, you will know that I snacked some while I was cooking =D


Extra
DEEP FRIED GARLIC WINGS AND VIETNAMESE NUI (NOUILLE) WITH TOMATO SAUCE

RECIPE

4 - 5 deep fried garlic wings

200g Vietnamese nui
200g tomato
2 tbsp. tomato paste/puree
Parsley
Garlic, chopped
Olive oil
Salt and pepper

Note: different tomatoes have different tastes. If you are to use Vietnamese tomatoes, you may want to add 1 - 2tsp. sugar...

1. Boil 200g nui with water and add a pinch of salt for 7 - 8 minutes. Do not boil for so long as you will add them into your tomato sauce and that is when it will be continuingly cooking
because my Mom loves parsley, so I added some stems and boil with nui

2. Peel and deseed tomato. Cut them in small cubes as shown 
Peel and deseed

cut them into small cubes

In a hot, heavy pot, heat 1 tbsp olive oil and add garlic. Stir fry until the garlic start to smell, add tomato cubes. Stir and simmer on low heat for 4 - 5 minutes or until it looks blended and limp. Add 2 tbsp tomato paste, season lightly with salt and pepper. 

4. Add the cooked nui to the pot and gently mix. Season again with salt and pepper if needed

chop some parsley leaves and sprinkle...

This is how I did my Garlic fried wings with Vietnamese nui and tomato sauce
Happy cooking!



No comments:

Post a Comment